Saturday, December 12, 2009

Giving Back

In preparation for the onslaught of Christmas gifts, Mike suggested that the girls go through their own toys and give some away to children who don't have many toys at Christmastime. Both of the girls went through their bedrooms and found puzzles, games, toys and stuffed animals to give away. One needed a little more prodding and guidance than the other! I peeked at Isabella through the crack in her door as she sorted through her toys. She had no idea that I was watching her. She had a "give away" pile and a "keep" pile. She has quite a collection of toy horses, and I saw her holding one particular horse as she looked back and forth between her two piles and the horse. It seemed like she wanted to keep the horse, but I heard her say to herself, "Those kids are more important than this horse," as she placed the horse in the "give away" pile. I was so touched and proud of her!

Mike researched different charities in the area and decided to make a donation to Cradles to Crayons -a non-profit organization which "equips homeless and in-need children with the basic essentials they need to feel safe, warm, ready to learn and valued." He felt strongly that the girls should go with him to make the donation. He loaded up the car with the girls' toys, some baby gear and other items and they headed off this afternoon. We want our children to be kind and compassionate and to think of others. This is another new tradition that we would like to carry on year after year (and throughout the year)!

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers